MABS, the Money Advice Budgeting Service, was established by the Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs in 1992, and now there are over 50 offices nationwide.
Who can the service help?
MABS provides a free and confidential money management and advice service to everyone. Its main purpose is to assist people in dealing with their existing debt difficulties and to help them manage their finances.
Download the MABS Brochure “SELF HELP GUIDE TO MANAGING FINANCIAL DEBT”.
If you have:
- Lost your job
- Become separated
- A low income
- Fallen behind in loan repayments
- Suffered a bereavement
…and find it difficult to make ends meet.
What does MABS do?
- Assists a client in devising a suitable budget plan.
- Negotiates with creditors including credit unions.
- Gives advice and support to people with financial difficulties.
- Works in partnership with the credit unions.
- Provides ongoing support to people who successfully overcome their financial difficulties.
- Talks can be organised for groups on money management, budgeting skills and other related issues.
The Special Account Scheme is a bill paying service operated in partnership between you, your Money Advice and Budgeting Service and Credit Union.
A client opens a Special Account with their local credit union and lodges an agreed amount ever week/month.
The money is distributed by MABS to various creditors on a monthly basis.
Advantages of Special Account Scheme
- Service is free Local and convenient
- Introduction to savings
- User and Creditor orientated
- Introduction to low interest borrowing
- All creditors catered for
If you find yourself in debt
- Don’t panic
- Do not ignore the problem; it will not go away
- Take immediate action
- Contact your local Money Advice and Budgeting Service
What you can expect from MABS
- A free service, a professional and efficient service
- To have your confidentiality respected
- To be listened to in a non-judgemental manner
- To act on your behalf and with your consent
- To have your options explained fully so that you can make your own decision
- To keep you informed of progress
Download our Top Tips
Download our Christmas Budget
You can contact your local MABS on 046 9072836